Author Guidelines for Submission of Manuscripts
All manuscripts submitted to the Alexandria Dental Journal must be submitted online at www.alexandriadentaljournal.com
Only original scientific research or reviews of the highest standard will be accepted for publication . A rigorous revision process will be undertaken with each submitted manuscript to ensure that there is no plagiarism and to accept work of only the highest scientific and ethical standards .
Only manuscripts written in English will be accepted for consideration. Authors are invited to perform accurate language editing. If English is not your native language please submit your manuscript to a professional language editor.Manuscripts that do not conform to the guidelines will not be considered for revision .
A cover letter addressed to the editor-in-chief should be submitted with the manuscript . Additionally, all authors should submit the author declaration form signed by all authors .
A copy of your payment receipt should be scanned and submitted with the manuscript .
A sample of the cover letter and the author declaration form can be downloaded here .
Each author is REQUIRED to submit an additional file (without the names of authors or the affiliations) which includes the main text followed by all illustrations, figures, and tables at the end of the text. Each figure/table MUST be preceded by its legend and MUST be adequately denoted in the text (in word format).
Title page and authorship
The title page should consist of the title followed by the authors listing the first name followed by the middle initial followed by the last name.
Authors’ degrees should also be mentioned. Authors’ affiliations should then be written and denoted by superscript numbers following each name. The corresponding author should be highlighted .
This should be followed by the corresponding author’s contact details including his/her e-mail address to which all correspondence regarding the manuscript will be addressed .
Four to six keywords should be supplied as well as a short running title (6-8 words) .
An abstract of 300 words should be supplied briefly mentioning introduction, objectives, methodology, results and conclusions of the work .
Terms that are to be abbreviated should be written out completely at their first mention followed by the abbreviation in parentheses .
The manuscript should be double-spaced and written in Times New Roman, font size 12 in A4 size. The entire manuscript should not exceed 6,000 words including the following sections: introduction, materials and methods, results, discussion, and conclusions. A maximum of 6 figures and 2-3 tables will be allowed. Any additional supplemental data can be submitted apart as “supplementary material”. The number of references for original papers should be limited to 30-40references .
Statement of conflict of interest
Authors must declare the presence of any financial or personal conflicts of interest. If no such conflicts exist then the following statement should be supplied; “The authors declare that they have no conflicts of interest”. Granting or funding bodies should be adequately noted .
Acknowledgments should be supplied following the statement of conflict of interest .
Figures and tables
- Halftones and color images should be submitted at a minimum of 300 dpi (resolution).
- Line illustrations should be submitted at 600 dpi (resolution).
- Save figures as either TIFF or JPEG files.
- Black and white art must be submitted as grayscale—not RGB .
- Do NOT submit PowerPoint, PDF, Bitmap, or Excel figure.
- Supply figures and tables as separate files.
All methods of statistical analysis and tests should be clearly described. Complex statistical methods should be duly referenced .
In-text citations, references should be indicated with Arabic numerals in parentheses and numbered according to the order in which they appear in the text. A list of references should then be provided at the end of the manuscript text .
Reference list : Number the references in the list in the order in which they appear in the text.
Only the first 6 authors should be mentioned followed by et al .
- Van der Geer J, Hanraads JAJ, Lupton RA. The art of writing a scientific article. J Sci Commun . 2010;163:51–9.
- Strunk W Jr, White EB. The Elements of Style, 4th ed. New York: Longman; 2000 .
Chapter in an edited book
Mettam GR, Adams LB. How to prepare an electronic version of your article. In: Jones BS, Smith RZ , eds.
Introduction to the Electronic Age. New York: E-Publishing; 2009:281–304 .
Journal abbreviations should follow index medicus .
Figures and table legends
Legend of figures and tables must be submitted following the list of references.
For human and animal research
For clinical trials, authors must provide evidence that appropriate institutional ethical clearance and written informed consent were obtained .
For animal research, authors must provide a statement confirming that the guidelines for the care and use of experimental animals according to the institution in which the work was done were followed .
Papers will not be considered for revision until the submission fees have been paid . Additional fees will be required to obtain a printable PDF copy of accepted manuscripts .
For payment please contact us via e-mail .
SUBMISSION PREPARATION CHECKLIST
As part of the submission process, authors are required to check off their submission’s compliance with all of the following items, and submissions may be returned to authors that do not adhere to these guidelines.
- The submission has not been previously published, nor is it before another journal for consideration (or an explanation has been provided in Comments to the Editor).
- The manuscript body (text) is submitted in Microsoft Word document file format.
- All illustrations, figures, tables and legends are submitted as separate files under “attachments”.
- The text is double-spaced; uses a 12-point font; employs italics, rather than underlining (except with URL addresses).
- An additional file (without the names of authors or the affiliations) which includes the main text followed by all illustrations, figures, and tables at the end of the text. Each figure/table MUST be preceded by its legend and MUST be adequately denoted in the text (in word format).
- The text adheres to the stylistic and bibliographic requirements outlined in the Author Guidelines, which is found in About the Journal.
- If submitting to a peer-reviewed section of the journal, the instructions in Ensuring a Blind Review have been followed.
- The Submission Uses the ADJ Template. Template Example File1
- Where available, URLs for the references have been provided.
- All co-authors’ names have been added using the “add author” tab during the submission process.